Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

My land lord has given me a 60 day notice on the grounds of

My land lord has given me a 60 day notice on the grounds of police destroying property,molding in the bathroom ,and a repair in pipes for water to run in toilet,carpet dirty,kitchen knobs off ,kitchen floor dirty,. Land lord is asking me to pay half of the bill of $900. The first letter was written with an 03/ 27/10 and was given to my son on 4/16/10. I question the land lord on the grounds of her asking me to leave?Police were called to investigate a neighbors call,police didn't destroy my apartment.I ask why was it written in my letter?The land lord has sent a 2nd letter RE-Clarification the letter says that it was not an official 60 day notice, if I decide to stay, I must pay for repair. I have been in this property over 10 years,never have failed to pay rent.What are my rights in this situation? I'm a single mom with 2 children.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If you have a copy of the lease agreement that you signed that shows that he is responsible for the pipe repair, make a copy of that section in the lease and attach it to a certified letter that you send to him that states the following:

(1) It the tenant's understanding that the LL issued an erroneous 60 day move out notice and that the LL has now retracted that notice;

(2) It is the tenant's understanding that the pipe repairs were due to XYZ reason and not due to any negligence on tenant's part;

(3) That under the lease agreement - clause XYZ, the LL is fully responsible for the repairs under the current circumstances;

(4) That tenant declines to pay for the repairs and is with in fully compliance with the lease terms and has not in any way breached the same;

(5) That the tenant believes and understands the foregoing points to be true and correct and that if the LL disputes any of these, he need to inform the tenant in writing with in 5 business days of his receipt of this letter.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".