Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 13 years experience in civil law.

My landlord asked me to go up to the attic to get the serial

My landlord asked me to go up to the attic to get the serial number of the ventilation unit so he can use the warranty to get that fixed. I went and accidently fell through. My question is whether I can ask my landlord to pay my medical bill? Am I responsible for paying for fixing the hole on the ceiling?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Unfortunately, unless you can prove that the landlord was somehow negligent and thus cause you to fall through the roof, he would not have any liability here. If you feel through because your own negligence, then you would be responsible for your medical bills and the hole repair costs.

The proper thing for you to have done here is to tell the LL that he need to send someone out to get the serial number as you have no duty under the lease to do that.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In his email, he just told me that I must do it if I want the unit to be fixed. I had no idea that the ceiling is not as strong as it looked. I never lived in a house before and the attic had piles of insulation material here and there. There is no way for me to tell without removing the material to see where I am setting my feet on. A negligency claim is what I am trying to get. I think the landlord should have warned me that the ceiling is not boarded and I can only stay in certain area.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

You may want to file a negligence claim in small claims court or a court of higher jurisdiction.

There will be an issue of fact for the jury or the judge to decide whether you operated below a standard of care for a ordinary and reasonable person.

For, him, there will be an issue as to whether he had a duty to inform you about the attic not being boarded and whether he breached that duty of care.

Texas uses what is referred to as the "doctrine of comparative responsibility." Under the responsibility statute, a jury is responsible for assigning a percentage of blame to each party involved in the accident. As long as the jury decides you are only 50% or less responsible for the accident, you can still recover damages for your personal injury.

However, the amount of compensation the jury awards you will be reduced by the percentage of your responsibility.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be fine with whatever I am compensated for. I am upset not mainly for the money, but for the landlord's attitude. He stated clearly in his email that I must get that number if I want it fixed, even the day after I fell he wrote a follow up email for that number. As soon as he heard the accident from my husband, he changed his tone and saying that he didn't ask me to go up to the attic. I don't care how much money I get back or at all, if the jury decides that I am negligble, then fine, I didn't do anything except walk around the unit to look for that number. I just want the landlord to tell the truth. Don't I have slight chance?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I would give it a shot based on the fact that the LL failed to inform you that the attic was not boarded. That may be his negligence and a way of proving that he was being lazy and asking you to do what he should have been doing himself.

Maverick, Lawyer
Experience: Over 13 years experience in civil law.