Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I live in a storefront industrial space warehouse that it is

I live in a storefront industrial space warehouse that it is illegal to live in, in los angeles for 7 years. my landlord knew I was living here and was totally fine with it. I've always had a good relationship with my landlords up until now. There are others living in other spaces here too. The building constantly leaks and floods whenever it rains. My landlord called me this month on the 9th and told me I have to leave by the end of the month. I'm on a month to month lease. He said the artist in the front space connected to the same building offered him a ton of money to get my space as fast as possible and get me out, thats why I have to leave. It's purely a monetary thing they said. Is this legal? He said he sent me the papers in the mail, but they never reached me. It was sent by UPS and needed to be signed. I never saw it. So they told me over the phone. There are walls built inside the space, probably not legal, or up to code (the landlord knows this.) there is also an illegally blocked door blocking the back space -(mine), from the front space -(the other artist). she's quite mean and we've had a number of confrontations. she only works in her space. what would happen if I just stayed? what would happen if I told the city Ive been living here and show them my bath tub, etc. and I threatened my landlords to do this? I'm actually fine to move, but I need more time, and they refused to give me more time. please let me know my rights and consequences in this situation.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 3 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.

RayAnswers :

You have rights here as a month to month tenant.They have to give you thirty days written notice here and then they have to serve you with an eviction suit.You may respond here and contest the eviction.You certainly may have facts to do so.At the least this should buy you several months because they have not notified you and then then have to file for eviction.This should at least allow you to save up funds and to relocate down the road.I am givign you reference to self help here including forms if they do finally file an eviction suit.

RayAnswers :

Reference to your rights here and forms to respond if they get around to filing eviction.

RayAnswers :

You will not have to leave here until they first give you proper notice and then serve you with evicition.The eviction suit would have a date on it here for hearing so you would know that you at least have until the hearing date.

RayAnswers :

You shoudl bring up all the code issues you can here.See if you can get the city involved on this issue as well.It might give you longer here.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

RayAnswers :

Hi if you have more questions please just ask.

RayAnswers :

And telling you over the phone here is not proper notice.It has to thirty days written notice as I indicated above.

Customer:

ok great thank you so much. So you are saying that verbally telling me over the phone is not enough? I must first receive the actual papers? then if I refuse to leave, then they will file an eviction suit. is this correct? and you dont think getting the city involved would backfire on me by showing them I live here possibly? what would be good to bring the city in on. thanx so very much.

RayAnswers :

So you are saying that verbally telling me over the phone is not enough? Yes that is correct. I must first receive the actual papers?Yes both a notice here of thrity days and then eviction suit has to be served. then if I refuse to leave, then they will file an eviction suit. is this correct? Yes that to is correct and you don't think getting the city involved would backfire on me by showing them I live here possibly?I think you should consider seeing if the city will not get involved and I think that this may overall give you a chance to at least stay longer.I mean landlord here is trying to evict you have to pretty much try everything to delay it.

RayAnswers :

I wish you good luck.You might also force the landlord to back off there is always that chance.

RayAnswers :

RayAnswers :

Thanks again for chatting with me.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Ray replied 3 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Ray Answers. with all that we talked about, I Just wanted to make sure you knew that this is a business storefront I am in, not a residential place to live. Please confirm that you were aware of this with the answers you gave. .If so, I'm going to take the actions you recommended and talk to the landlord. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ray replied 3 years ago.
I understand that this was a storefront here.They still have to give you proper notice and serve you with eviction.I wish you good luck here fighting this matter.Certainly you can delay them for a while if you will contest.

Here is more reference with time line and as you can see here you get notice and also have right to be served in an eviction even though it is commercial.

http://www.expressevictions.com/flowchart.php
Ray, Lawyer
Experience: Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate