How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31662
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Washington, and have a Townhouse that I bought in

Customer Question

I live in Washington, and have a Townhouse that I bought in Oregon at the peak of the market, I have rented it for 3 years and still don't see the end. I want to stop paying and give it back to the bank, if I could sell it I wuold but it is wroth $200,000 and I owe $300,000. What happens it I do? I am still sick over this mess, help.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.


Under Oregon law, a lender has the right to seek a deficiency judgment against you for the difference between what the sale generates and what is due under your note.


The best way out is if you offer the lender a deed in lieu of foreclosure. This avoids the foreclosure process and also prevents the lender from obtaining a deficiency judgment against you for the deficiency balance. If you can get the lender to accept this, that's your best out.


Otherwise, you're going to be faced with a deficiency either through foreclosure or selling the property for less than you owe.

Roger and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so how is the value determined, if I can't sell it , but it is worth 200,000 and i owe 300,000, can they only come after the diference? or can they say it is worth 150000?

Why would they accept a deed in leiu?

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

The lender has the right to sue and recover the difference between what you owe and what the property sells for.


A lender may accept a deed in lieu if it doesn't believe it will be able collect the deficiency from you. This doesn't guarantee that they won't come after you, but it does reduce the odds.