Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

What rights do I have to remove a tree that is on the property line I am plannning

What rights do I have to remove a tree that is on the property line? I am plannning to expand the size of my house, and I cannot do it unless I remove the tree. I am preparing to dicsuss the situationm with my neighbor.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

In Texas, a boundary tree is owned equally by both owners and cannot be cut down without the consent of both. If you want to remove the tree, and the neighbor will not agree, you can't remove it short of a court order, and if the tree doesn't pose a danger to the property or structures, it's not likely a court will require its removal.