Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Im in the process of evicting the tenants for not paying rent

I'm in the process of evicting the tenants for not paying rent (they owe a couple thousand.) The lease they signed states they are responsible for the electric. Currently over $500.00 is due on Electric bill.
Problem : My name is XXXXX XXXXX the e. account. (I know I know)
Question : The utility service suggested I give tenants 10 days to put their name on e. account. If that is not done, I close the e. account, which means (if they don't comply) the electric is shut off.
State of Delaware
Thanks

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

There's nothing wrong with doing this. You're not prohibiting the tenant from having electricity, but you're just not footing the bill for them.

You're going to be responsible for bringing the account up to date, but you can charge anything you pay to your tenants.

If they don't pay rent and you have to evict, you can seek damages for this in addition to all unpaid rent.