Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am a landlord and owner of a 2 family house. I do live on

I am a landlord and owner of a 2 family house. I do live on the first floor and rent the 2nd floor. I have increased the rent beginning March 1st. The mother of one of the tenants has arranged for the rent to be paid. She is questioning the increase and has said that she is consulting an attorney. Does her attorney have the right to determin the amount of the rent that I charge?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

If you don't have a lease agreement setting the amount of rent for a specified period of time, you can change the rent with 30 days notice to the tenant. So long as you gave proper notice, the tenant doesn't have much choice but to accept the new rent or make plans to move - unless there's some rent control your property is under.