Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I purchased a home in Boca Raton in 2010, getting my mtg and

I purchased a home in Boca Raton in 2010, getting my mtg and home insurance as a "primary" residence. I'm about to file 2010 taxes. My acctnt says it would be better for me to stay as a NY resident (which I've been for the last 3 years) in order to take advantage of $500K benefit when I sell NY home (within next 3 years, likely). Must I, legally, however, file my 2010 tax return as a Florida resident since this is what I claimed it would be on my mtg and insurance? thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

People change their states of residence all the time. You can notify your mortgage company of your change in residence. It's worth making this change and getting the credit available to you as a NY resident.

It's not likely that the change will effect your mortgage or insurance much - if at all.