How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Lawyer,Former Broker and Just Answer Legal Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX to live at xxxxxxx

Resolved Question:

hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX used to live at xxxxxxxxxxx for more than 2 yrs,my husband got copd and eventually died of a lung cancer ,me and my kids while living in that house also got worst dry cough for more than 2 yrs.Then after my husbands burial i called health city engr.and pay for check up for the house bec i know somehow theres somethin wrong with our health then the cit y official found out that there are overwhelming black molds to that house the amount which he said is like more than five yrs .Right after I found out ,me and my kids decides to move ,I talked to the landlord if he can give us back our downpayment which is already in the amount of $40,000 bec that house is rent to own,we were paying more than $2,200 everrymonth,$900 for the rent and the rest for the downpayment ,i told him about the molds ,i gave him copy of the city health officials results of the inspection,but he said he has nothing to do with it,i also told him that we were advice by city officials to either move right away or clean the whole molds which will cost us around $80,000 but he refused to talk about it.Since my kids health is at stake i decide to move even it was really difficult to our situation bec i have 6 children all are minors from 14 yrs old down to 1 yr old,i borrow money from friends and neighbors and until now i do not know where to get the money to pay them back.please if you can help me getting my kids money at least half of it.By the way we paid him initial of $7,000 cash prior to move in plus the monthly $1200 for more than 2 and a half years. thank you very much. my number is XXXXX We are now lives at 13745 podocarpus lane orlando fl.32828.once again thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
"but i am willing to listen to options"

The only legal option you have is to sue the landlord. Even in a rent to own situation the landlord owes you a duty to keep the premises safe and sanitary. So unless you caused the mold build up the landlord is obligated to correct the mold problem. Only if he is unable to do so, can you then sue him for breaching is obligations.

Before suing you can send him a written demand letter asking what you want him to do. Typically you are required to give him sometime to repair the problems before you can sue him. However I see you followed what you were told to do by the local health inspector. If he fails to comply with your demands then the next step would be to sue. You should be able to do this on your own if you don't wish to speak with lawyers as there are many "how to books" at the local law library that can help with the process.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.


Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions