lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with expertise in easements
15417118

What are my legal rights as a live in girlfriend recently dumped after 5.5 years I have l

What are my legal rights as a live in girlfriend recently dumped after 5.5 years? I have lived with my boyfriend for that long, he has dumped me, and informed me I cannot return now that I am abroad on an internship. He has kept it from me, but I have found he has begun to pack my personal belongings and place them into storage-explicitly against my wishes.
He also owns my car and has agreed to give me a small amount of money monthly to get by. (I have this in an email and chat, also as a verbal agreement)
What are my rights? I am coming back home due to this debacle. Can I get him to stop placing my personal belongings in storage? Can I demand a 30 day notice before eviction? He wrote me an email over 30 days ago saying I would have to move, I don't know how legally binding that is.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 3 years ago.

That is not enforceable.

He wrote me an email over 30 days ago saying I would have to move, I don't know how legally binding that is.

It is not binding at all if you did not receive it and normally there is no way to prove someone actually received an email.

Can I get him to stop placing my personal belongings in storage?

In reality you need to go ahead and do whatever is necessary to go ahead and move out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Right, I do. However, being that I am overseas and my personal belongs are in a house I have lived in (I receive mail there), I need to know if I can legally get him to stop removing my personal belongings and placing them into storage? I need to do this myself.

Secondly, do I have any rights to stay until I can move out? Does he need to serve me with notice? I am on the 'lease', the landlord is aware of me living there.

Basically--how can I stop this so I am not homeless and my things have not been removed without my involvement?
Expert:  lwpat replied 3 years ago.
I need to know if I can legally get him to stop removing my personal belongings and placing them into storage? I need to do this myself.

Not that I know of. If there are any damages or missing items you can sue him for their value.

Is your name actually on the lease? He is supposed to serve you with a thirty day notice to vacate and then obtain a judicial eviction if you do not move out. Here he could claim that you abandoned the premises.

You could have an attorney obtain a temporary injunction but that will be fairly expensive.
lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney with expertise in easements