Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

what is the defination of squatters right in Wyoming How

Customer Question

what is the defination of squatters right in Wyoming? How long do you have to live in a place to consider this option?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

The doctrine of adverse possession is sometimes referred to a squatters rights.

In WY, you must typically continually possess the property as your own for a period of 10 years or more in order to file a petition with the court to claim it as your own under this legal doctrine.

Here is a link I found for you that sets out the elements required to make a valid claim for adverse possession:

All the best to you in the New Year.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this site doesn't really tell me what I need. Can we stop the evicition by filing a claim if we meet the standard of possession, which we have.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
If you meet the elements of adverse possession, then you would typically need to file a response to the summons and include a counter-claim alleging adverse possession.

You really should retain a local attorney or at least a paralegal to assist you with this matter though.

If you do not meet the elements of adverse possession and it is a simple eviction, then the court will likely grant the request to evict you if the grounds asserted by the plaintiff are true and you do not have a legitimate defense such as adverse possession.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please explain adverse possession
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did you get me an answer on adverse possession?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
asked 2 questions got no response
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am cancelling the payment, can't get an answer back
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I will contact customer service for you.

Take care.