DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  many years of experience representing clients in real estate matters
17924466

My property is C2 zoning. I got a residential appraisal at

My property is C2 zoning. I got a residential appraisal at $185,000. I want to sell the property staight commercial. I figure I could sell my property then at around $250,000. Can I do that or do I need the the property to be C1 to do that?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, unfortunately prior to selling the property as a commercial property it must be zoned as a commercial property, if you sell a residential zoned property as a commercial property the buyer could rescind the sale and sue you for damages.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks for the reply. The C2 zoning on my property is either residential or commercial. It can be used for either use. I just did not have the $1500 to get a commercial appraisal, so i got the residential appraisal for $350. If the residential appraisal was $185,000. I am assuming the commercial appraisal would be 250,000-300,000.
Thank you for the clarification, you can sell the property as a commercial property, your zoning gives you the option of residential or commercial. The challenge however will be finding a buyer who will pay commercial price for what is arguably a residentially zoned property. To avoid this, consider having the property rezoned commercial only.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do i have to do to get it to "commercial only"? Will it cost me? What is the process of doing that?
Hello, you would have to petition the zoning commission for a amendment to the current zoning on the property. It would cost you in the form of legal fees for the attorney you hire.

Edited by DCrane Law on 1/13/2011 at 4:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok how much of a difference would that make on the value of the property? if the residential appraisal was $185,000. What would it be if it was switched to all commercial? What im asking is would it be worth it for me to do that?
Hello, it really depends on the adjacent properties. For example, if the adjacent properties are commercial office buildings, you would benefit from a commercial designation. However, if you are surrounded by residential dwellings, and your space is not suitable for a corner store/small box retail store than commercial designation would not be worth the effort and expense.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
next door to me is a Body Shop, across the street from me and down the street from me is trucking companies. My property also has a 45 by 90 shop and i also have 2 rental mother in law apartments. and how much would the legal fees be to switch the zoning?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX make sense to go for commercial zoning, your legal fees will run a couple thousand dollars.