Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  Mediator, part of the Ohio Save the Dream Foreclosure project

Missouri squatters rights

My inlaws own a house and land in Missouri that they live in. My father-in-law allowed his brother and his wife to stay there during the summers. About 7 years ago the brother and wife built an small addition on to the house so they could stay there during the summer instead of in a camper (with the permission and help of my father-in-law). Do his brother and wife have any claim to the house or property; or could their children if something happened to them?

The brother and sister have no legal claim to the property itself. They may have a monetary claim for the added value the structure brings to the home. However, if there was no expectation of compensation when the structure was built it is unlikely any monetary claim would succeed if brought t before a judge. The fact that they lived on the property rent free could also be considered in any legal claim made for compensation.

If you found this answer informative please press the ACCEPT even if you are on a subscription plan so I may receive credit for my work.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It appears that this is going to get ugly (no big surprise). Can you recommend any attorneys in or around Mountain View, MO (65548) that would be familiar with this type of situation?