Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of Landlord/Tenant & Purchase/Sale

I have a question regarding a investment property that I have

Customer Question

I have a question regarding a investment property that I have with my ex business partner. I gave her 25000 to purchase the property and another 20000 to renovate that I have all the receipts for. The only problem is that she is on the title and the purchase agreement.

I have belief she is trying to sell it and not pay me my original investment plus half the profit we agreed to. I have all the receipts for the orignal 25K and receipts for the 20K for the reno work. My name is XXXXX XXXXX but I do not have a contract.

I can show past history because we have invested in properties for the past 3 years. If she decides to sell the property with out my knowledge and not pay me for anything can I file a claim after her
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Answer: Yes, if by "claim" you mean lawsuit, you would be able to file a lawsuit on this.

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.

I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!

All my best,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you saying if even if I am not on the title

Certainly. For example, you may be able to argue breach of contract.

Now, you just asked whether you can "file a claim." Yes, you have enough to start a lawsuit.

Whether or not you can win will depend on a host of factors, such as, of course, all the facts; a review of the existing law; whether or not you have a competent attorney; the mood of juries...

Take care,