LawGirl
LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.
635143

I rent in a house that is perched on a very steep hill and

I rent in a house that is perched on a very steep hill and 15 ft. broken retaining wall runs the the length of the entire property. The retaining wall is so lumped that the bedroom floor facing that wall is slanting! It is obvious that the foundation of the house is compromised. Does my landord have a responsibility to fix this? And if it is brought to his attention could I possibly be asked to move due to unsafe living conditions?

Catch 22
Los Angeles, CA
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 6 years ago.

LawGirl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able. Yes, this a repair for which your landlord would be responsible. (I am assuming that you did not do anything to the wall.) However, your fears are correct, to the extent that the foundation is such that the property is unsafe, you could be required to vacate the property pending repair.