JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Real Estate Attorney! How may I help you?
16110456

Quest LC, Inc. in Newport Beach is suggesting they can assit

Quest LC, Inc. in Newport Beach is suggesting they can assit us with document preparation on a chapter 7 bankruptcy and loan modifcation. Is there any specific licensing required to offer this service? How can I find out if they are properly licensed to offer document preparation on a bankruptcy? Is it illegal to accept an advance fee for loan modifcation services such as doc prep if you are not an attorney? Please help.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 6 years ago.

I appreciate your use of this service. I will be assisting you with this question. When we are done, please remember to click ACCEPT.

California does not allow loan modification companies to accept advance fees for modification services. In addition, a loan modification service must also advise that the same services are available for no cost via HUD. See:

http://www.dre.ca.gov/ind_loanmoddisclosure.html

As to the bankruptcy aspect of your question, those services should be sought from a licensed attorney in your area who handles bankruptcy matters. A company should not provide advise as to bankruptcy filings. Instead, speak with a local attorney.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The information supplied is not legal advice. You may only obtain legal advice from a local attorney in your state. No attorney-client relationship is formed. I appreciate your use of this service.