Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of Landlord/Tenant & Purchase/Sale
10033880

my landlord just repaired the roof of a 6 family apartment

my landlord just repaired the roof of a 6 family apartment building. I am rent stabilized. The cost of the roof was 14,800.00 and he trying to up the rnet for the next 84 months/7 years for everyone in the apartment building 7.66 per room @ 23 rooms. this comes out to all the tenants covering the cost of the repairs and the owner paying nothing. Is this legal? I thought that it could only be increase a certain percentage. Can you help me? I have looked on line but could not locate any information. I just need to know what we as tenants are responsible for.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

Jane Doe Deer :

Tenants are never "responsible" for the cost of any repairs, other than for damage/repairs they caused.

Customer:

so even though the owner of the building is putting a claim thru the division os housing and community renewal mci unit we can dispute it and we should win

Jane Doe Deer :

You can certainly dispute it because you're in a rent-controlled building, if I read your question right.

Jane Doe Deer :

I can't guarantee whether you'll win or lose.

Customer:

thank you for your info

Jane Doe Deer :

You are welcome, and thank you for accept. May I be of any further help? No extra charge today.