LawGirl
LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.
635143

Im currently working with my Lender to refinance my rental

I'm currently working with my Lender to refinance my rental home. If the refinance is not approved then I may lose my rental home through foreclosed Trustee Sale, which meant I may lose this rental home with all my saving money that I put down to buy this home for many years. My tenant is currently living in the home. I have been told that the return of security deposit to my Tenant is protected by Federal Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act, which provides that leases survive foreclosure. This means that the Lender, as successor in interest, does have to return the security deposit to my Tenant after they foreclosed the home and took over the ownership of the property. Please clarify who will be responsible to return the security deposit to the Tenant if the rental home is foreclosed? The former Owner (me) or the new Owner (Lender or whoever bought the property at Trustee sale)? Please have a California Lawyer to help to answer this question per California laws. Thank you very much for your help :)
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good evening. I know you asked for a California lawyer and if after I answer you still want one, please feel free not to accept and I will opt out. But, this question is not answered by CA law; rather it is under the same new federal Act that protects leases in the event of foreclosures. Under this Act, you have the deposit so you are obligated to turn it over to the lender at foreclosure, but if you do not, the Act protects the tenant by allowing the tenant to deduct it from his final month's rent. Then, it becomes a question of whether the lender wants to pursue you for it.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think you are talking about Texas laws. Can I have CA Lawyer looking into this question, please. -Christy

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I will happily opt out....but this is covered by Federal law, not state law. Federal law covers all states.

Expert:  LawGirl replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

I wish I could provide an alternative answer; however, the previous attorney who provided your answer is correct. You will be responsible (under State and Federal law) for the return of the security deposit whether or not the property is foreclosed. Foreclosure of the property does not obviate or terminate your responsibility to return the security deposit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience: I am familiar with this area of law.