LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.

I signed a lease renewal that starts December 1, but my current

I signed a lease renewal that starts December 1, but my current lease hasn't expired yet. I lost my job and now cannot pay the new rent/lease starting December. My new lease has not "officially" started, so does this fall in the category of breaking my lease?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your job loss.

Yes, if you try to get out of your signed lease, you will be breaking your lease.

To the extent that you landlord lets you out, you may be able to get out without penalty. However, even if the lease has not started, if the lease does not allow for you to break it, you may be held responsible for the lease until your landlord is able to rent the place to another tenant.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. I just reviewed my lease renewal document and there seems to be a major misstatement.

My new lease is supposed to commence on December 1, 2010, yet the lease renewal I signed states the lease commencement date is December 2011.

Does this make the lease I signed null and void? I can attach a PDF of the renewal so that you can view the doc. Please let me know ASAP, as I will send immediately.