LawGirl
LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.

i own a condo and the trash chute has been broken for months

i own a condo and the trash chute has been broken for months can i with hold some of my monthly dues
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Whether you can withhold monthly dues from your HOA really depends on whether the Bylaws allow for this type of self-help. Generally speaking Bylaws probably do not allow this remedy and instead allow you the ability to speak out at a monthly or quarterly basis. If this is the case, you will likely need to pay your HOA dues and be current so the association does not take adverse action against you. To the extent that the Board is not ensuring the property is being maintained correctly your recourse would be to address this through meetings or politically when voting on board members and/or matters concerning the property.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience: I am familiar with this area of law.