Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I live in a two-level townhouse condo in Maryland that has

I live in a two-level townhouse condo in Maryland that has had backups from the sewage line, causing minor damage. The ancient 1.5" line, which runs from behind my kitchen wall and into the association's common-area laundry room below, needs to be replaced. The management company says it's all on my tab and with my plumber, including the work in the common area. My insurer says no way. And I'm stuck in between, unable to proceed, until this is resolved. Who is liable for the repairs and damage?
- Stuck in the Middle
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Who is liable for what depends on the terms of your condo association agreement.

However, the general rule is that you're responsible for the things inside your walls and the association is responsible for everything else - including the common areas.

You will have to refer to your bylaws to see who is responsible for what. My guess is that if your insurance company says "no way", the condo assn. is responsible.