Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

i have a condo in maine i rent to friends/family condo

i have a condo in maine i rent to friends/family
condo assc tells me i cant ,,,

they rent to phone inquires and walk in people as well as advertise
they do have a hotel licence.....
condo rules DO say all rentals must be approved by board......but why dont theirs have to be ?they say i have to use their rental program..they charge 40% commission and no guarentee of renting ....
this is a mixed use   whole owners/timeshare owners/and hotel rentals.....btw these arw weekly rentals im taling about     they do rent yr round to the public

If the association is selectively enforcing the bylaws, that is illegal and you could sue to have the bylaw stricken because of its selective enforcement.

My suggestion is that you contact a local attorney about what they're doing and have him/her represent you at the next board meeting.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

that is my plan

and by them renting to walk ins and the erneral public with no board ""approvel" that is selective inforcement i assume

i assume i should not look for a lawyer in the town pop 40,000 and go ""outside " of area ??

Yes, that's probably a good idea to find an attorney from a neighboring town to make sure he/she isn't tainted and has your best interests at heart.