lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with expertise in easements

can my new husbands ex-wife put a lien on my home in Texas

can my new husband's ex-wife put a lien on my home in Texas (property is in my name only) in regards XXXXX XXXXX child support?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Texas is a community property state. If the property was yours prior to the marriage it is your separate property and it is not subject to attachment for any of his debts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm shocked! I thought it was just the opposite! So she can threaten to put a lien on my car and my house for what she's saying is back child support due, but it cannot happen?
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
That is correct. It is his separate debt and your property cannot be attached for his separate debt.

an accept for my time is always appreciated

Edited by lwpat on 5/28/2010 at 1:20 AM EST
lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney with expertise in easements
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so if we put the cars in my name now before she tries to put a lien on his car, that's legal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you there?!!

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
If you do that then it is community property and still half his. The real problem is that he can be jailed for not paying his back support and even have his drivers license suspended.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I know and it's a very difficult situation because he IS paying child support twice a month and she's saying that he owes more. If he gets his license suspended, he cannot drive to work to make money to PAY HER!!! That's insane!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can he really be put in jail if he IS making payments?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

His wages are being garnished already from his paycheck, it's a relatively new job, there was a time lapse in payments between his employers (about 1 month) and that's what set her off...

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
If he is making payments then it is unlikely that he will be ruled in for a show cause hearing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you!!!