JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years litigation experience including eminent domain and real estate disputes

I closed on my house February 20,2010, I was previously under

I closed on my house February 20,2010, I was previously under a rental agreement, that was supposed to end at my closing, or so I thought, now the previous owner is trying to collect rent for March. But then I'd be paying rent on a house I now own,right? Can they force me to pay March rent?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

You need to read your contract carefully. If this was some sort of lease-purchase agreement then it could involve one more lease payment and then the beginning of mortgage payments. Obviously you would not be paying rent for March if you owned the home, however if you entered a purchase contract that involved one more payment (March) to your lessor and then initiation of mortgage payments to someone else then it can still be enforced.

The March payment is really more of a mortgage payment if it is contained in your purchase contract. The reason is that if you violate the contract, you would be in default and subject to foreclosure on the mortgage... sounds like a mortgage payment to me.

If it is not in the contract, you do not owe it. But before refusing payment, I strongly encourage you to take your contract to a local attorney and let them confirm you do not owe this money. I'd hate to see you in foreclosure.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.