JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years litigation experience including eminent domain and real estate disputes

I have leased this apart since Jan 2007. I recently asked for

I have leased this apart since Jan 2007. I recently asked for and got a new lease that was to run from Mar 2010 to Jul 2010 (4 months). They made a copy of the lease and gave it to me. I just got a notice on my door saying that the lease was 'not accepted' and that I must sign the enclosed amendment agreeing to extend the lease two more months. If I don't sign then I will have to pay a month to month rate beginning in March which is around $300 per month. Do I have any rights here or can Alliance do whatever they want? NOTE: I will gladly pay for a real consultation with an attorney on this issue.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Does the lease you signed have a provision about managerial approval or was it even executed by management at the time?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was apparently not executed by management because now that I look at the copy there are no managment signatures. I see this in retrospect but at the time I was not told that the lease required further approval and I believed I was given a valid copy of my new lease agreement.
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Normally the lease would not become valid until executed. Unfortunately it sounds as if you made a written proposal and it was rejected. This means no lease (contract) was formed. If you can show they acted deceptively and you relied on that deception to your detriment then you may be able to argue some form of justifiable reliance in order to mitigate certain costs of relocating, however it would be an uphill battle.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for... please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.