Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

what happens after 3-day notice to pay rent or quit, I missed

what happens after 3-day notice to pay rent or quit, I missed 3 months rent but I also paid 3 months security deposit
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
WHether or not to apply a security deposit to rent is up to the discretion of the landlord and the landlord does not have to apply it to rent because the purpose of the security deposit is to cover any damage to the premises. If you received the 3 day notice to pay or quit the premises and did not do either, your landlord's next step is to proceed to court and file suit for eviction against you and you would be served with the suit and then it would be set for hearing within 30 days. The court would then order an eviction if you have not moved out and it would be up to the landlord to decide if they will accept the security deposit in lieu of pursuing you for additional rent assuming there was no damage to the apartment it is up to the landlord at that point.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”