RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

HOW LONG CAN A NY PROPERTY LIEN STAY ON YOUR PROPERTY

HOW LONG CAN A NY PROPERTY LIEN STAY ON YOUR PROPERTY?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer with your legal question. I am a licensed attorney, and will be happy to assist you with your question, however, I require some additional information first. Also, you should know that due to site limitations, I cannot always see all of the information you may have entered, so if I ask a redundant question, I apologize in advance.

Can you tell me, do you mean a mechanic's lien filed by a contractor, subcontractor, etc., for work done on the house, or is this another kind of lien?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HI,

I AM BEING SUED BY AN INSURANCE COMPANY FOR $700,000. FOR EARNED PREMIUM. I AM NOT PAYING IT. MY HOUSE IS IN MY WIFES AND MY NAME. I"M SURE THEY WILL PUT A LIEN ON THE PROPERTY.

HOW LONG WILLTHE LIEN STAY?

Thanks for your reply.

This falls under New York lien law statutes, section 17, which provides in part:

Duration of lien. No lien specified in this article shall be a
lien for a longer period than one year after the notice of lien has been
filed, unless
within that time an action is commenced to foreclose the
lien, and a notice of the pendency of such action, whether in a court of
record or in a court not of record, is filed with the county clerk of
the county in which the notice of lien is filed, containing the names of
the parties to the action, the object of the action, a brief description
of the real property affected thereby, and the time of filing the notice
of lien; or unless an extension to such lien, except for a lien on real
property improved or to be improved with a single family dwelling, is
filed with the county clerk of the county in which the notice of lien is
filed within one year from the filing of the original notice of lien,
continuing such lien and such lien shall be redocketed as of the date of
filing such extension.

A lien on realproperty improved or to be improved with a single family dwelling may
only be extended by an order of a court of record, or a judge or justice
thereof. No lien shall be continued by court order for more than one
year from the granting thereof, but a new order and entry may be made in
each of two successive years.

What all of this means is that although the lien can only last a year, but can be extended one more year by court order, and then every two years, a new order and entry of lien can be entered by the court. In other words, the lien can continue perpetually until such time a court refuses to extend the lien (which in my experience having handled liens doesn't happen) or until a party decides they wish to foreclose on the lien.

Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.
This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.