RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My mortgage company applied my mortgage payment to the wrong

My mortgage company applied my mortgage payment to the wrong account and still hasn't corrected it. In the meantime they have collections calling me asking when I am going to pay. I discovered the error they made when I got my equity line statement showing the amount of my mortgage payment applied against it. The Mortgage payment had the correct account number on it, was sent separately from the equity line payment and showed as cleared in my account two days after the payment due date, indicating it was received and processed on the day it was due. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again, and more importantly ensure my good name (and credit) aren't negatively affected?
You need to call the 3 major credit bureau's and alert them of this. If it is reflected on your credit report, you can challenge it and the company would have to prove you missed your payments. If they are not able to do this ( which they wont because you have proof you paid and it was their error) the negative mark will be taken off. You need to continuously follow up with your mortgage company and provide them with documentation, showing the checks you sent were cashed and they were not applied. Try and deal with one person at the company, so get their name and extension so you can hold them responsible for fixing this instead of speak with a bunch of different people.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I call the credit bureaus, should I ask that it be added as a statement, or is it filing a complaint? what is the proper terminology to use?

What you need to do, is obtain a copy of your credit report. Look over it to see if any negative feedback is posted, as a result of this mix up. If so, you can then dispute it ( they give you instructions how) and it should be removed if it was in error.