J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience and training in real estate matters.
15393114

If I purchase a landlocked parcel of real estate in New York,

Customer Question

If I purchase a landlocked parcel of real estate in New York, what exactly must I do in order to acquire an easement to access it and what specific NY law governs the action?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
The common law theory of easement by necessity will govern your situation, the elements of which are:

(1) prior common ownership of both parcels; (2) a transfer of one of the parcels; and, (3) at the time of the transfer an easement over the property as absolutely necessary. See, e.g., Schaack v. Torsoe, 555 N.Y.S.2d 836 (2d Dept. 1990)

In order to establish it, you would have to initiate a court action involving the property over which the easement would run and receive a court order recognizing the easement. The only way to avoid court is to get the adjoining property(ies) to agree and grant a written easement.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

I would be very reluctant to purchase a landlocked parcel, unless I had a binding agreement with an adjoining property to grant/sell me an easement.

An easement is not automatic or a certainty.