Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer,Former Broker and Just Answer Legal Mentor

I am renting a house. The owner verbally informed me 30 days

I am renting a house. The owner verbally informed me 30 days ago that the house is going into foreclosure. Landlord said we can stay without paying rent until we find another place to live. Today, the owner called and wanted to know if I intend to use the $1,300 deposit to stay 1 more month. Owner/landlord wants to come into house and get stove, hot water heater etc. Can landlord/owner keep deposit as rent when home is in foreclosure? Can owner/landlord come into property and take items such as stove and hot water heater before we vacate?
Both parties are bound to the lease terms, regardless of the fact that now the landlord is facing foreclosure. So the owner cannot keep the deposit for rental payments unless you have defaulted on paying rent. The landlord must refund the security deposit minus for any damages caused beyond ordinary wear and tear. The owner cannot come into the property and remove anything from the premises before you vacate. Doing so is a breach of the landlord's lease agreement. At this time, the landlord has breach the terms of the lease in failing to provide habitable property, you have grounds to sue the landlord for the breach of the lease and can seek compensation for any costs associated in having to prematurely relocate.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.