Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My neighbor has been driving over my lawn despite my numerous

My neighbor has been driving over my lawn despite my numerous requests that he cease doing so. His driveway buts right up next to my lawn, and he claims that he has a right away onto my property. We live in a culdesac, so our lots are all pie shaped. However, the survey markers are clearly set at the back corner of our adjoining property and the middle of the culdesac. I told my neighbor that I didn't mind him encroaching a few inches onto my property, but 3-6 feet was ridiculous. I have tried to put reflective markers out to clearly identify the property line when there is snow, but he keeps taking them down. I have called the police and filed an incident report, but they say they cannot do anything. Do I have any recourse available to keep my neighbor off of my property short of having to take him to court?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

If the neighbor is parking his vehicle on your property, you should call the police while the car is on your property and they should cite him for trespassing. Another option is to retain a property law attorney in your area to write a cease and desist letter to the neighbor or legal action will be taken. Finally, you could put up some kind of barrier, like a fence, bush, etc. as a barrier so he cannot continue to drive on your property.

If you exhaust these options and he continues to trespass, you will need to take him to court.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

TG

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.