LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.

I want to Cancel my rental contract for my apartment before

I want to Cancel my rental contract for my apartment before the date that it specified in the contract. What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, if you have entered into a legally binding contract, you may not be able to cancel the contract unless the contract specifies a way that you can terminate the contract. In which event, if you try to cancel the contract, and the contract does not allow you to do so, the landlord may be able to hold you responsible for the rent through July and August in the event the landlord is unable to rent the place to someone else. Once you give notice, your landlord has the duty to try to mitigate their damages by trying to rent the apartment to someone else after you move out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter and/or require further clarification.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

But if I stop paying in july (2 months before the end of the contract) I assume she will keep the deposit (one month) that I gave at the begining of the contract. Does she have a way to force me to pay for that last month?

Thank you

Expert:  LawGirl replied 7 years ago.
She can take you to court under a breach of contract theory. She may also be able to get a judgment for any monetary amounts arising as a result of the breach.