Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

If a tenant move out and doesnt return the key how long do

If a tenant move out and doesn't return the key how long do I have to wait before I can reenter the property as an empty apartment?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Under MI's landlord tenant law, there is no provision for abandonment of the premises, so if the lease is still valid and the tenant has not paid rent and has moved from the premises, you would still need to go to court to seek an order granting you possession of the premises, meaning you would have to try to give notice to the tenant if you know where to find them and if not you would need to seek to do a notice by publication and then the court would have to grant you an order of possession of the premises. SEE:

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.