How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38801
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family was facing foreclosure with chase bank and agreed

Resolved Question:

My family was facing foreclosure with chase bank and agreed to enter into a forebarence agreement. they strung us along for over 4 months and finally overnighted the paperwork 4 days before the auction. the agreement and payment of 4000 dollars was sent back and recieved by chase the next day. 3 days later our house was sold at auction after chase had already told us they recieved everything and it would not be sold. the guy who bought the house will not back down and chase sent a petition to the court for us to get our house back and the guy to get his money back. we thought evrything was going to work out but than we got a letter from western union saying chase denied the payment 14 days after it had been sent and posted they had accepted it. we have no idea what to do or who to believe anymore.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Smells like a dead fish.


If the lender has actually filed a petition with the court to rescind the foreclosure, that is pretty much an admission of fault. The problem is that if the property was sold at a trust deed sale, then there's pretty much no way to get the property back, other than to purchase it back from the new owner -- which the lender could certainly do, and then return the property to you.


You REALLY need an attorney to "intervene" in the action between the lender and the new owner. You have a possible case for fraud or negligent misrepresentation against Chase, which would get you compensatory damages sufficient to make up for your loss of the property.


And, if you can show that the property had an inestimable sentimental value, then your damages could be quite substantial (big...maybe huge).


Note: this is the sort of thing that makes great media (20/20, 48 Hours, Nightline, etc.), and bad media for the lender.


NOTE: I am NOT suggesting that the lender or anyone else has in fact defrauded you or done anything wrongful, unlawful or illegal. I am simply responding to your statements as if they are true (this is me covering my a**, because I don't want to get sued for defamation).



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you