Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer,Former Broker and Just Answer Legal Mentor

My landlord refuses to return my security deposit. I did not

My landlord refuses to return my security deposit. I did not have a lease, she told me many times she would send one to me. She never did. It is a small apartment complex with 6 units. No one there has a lease. I paid $550 per month, with $50 being taken off for yard maintenance. The security deposit she owes me is $500. I gave her 2 weeks notice to move, because I had to take in my 90 year old mother and find a handicapped 2 bedroom for us. She told me I
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
Looks like your post was cut off. What did the landlord tell you?

What state is the property located in?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Vero Beach, Florida

Already Tried:
I have called her and ask her when I could come to Sebastian and pick up my security deposit. I mailed a letter requesting it or the possibility of her mailing it to me. I called her this as and she said she will not pay me until the apartment is re-rented. I found a renter, he found mold in the apt, and then decided not to take it. He moved in and moved out two days later. I put up rent signs, (two of them) to try and rent it myself for her. He had trouble getting his rent and deposit back. I paid on time and did many hours of work in the hip high grass yard, which I did not charge her for. I painted my apartment and paid a friend $100. She is know in the neighborhood as never giving back security deposits. She told me to call her attorney and hung-up on without giving me his name or number. She claims she has a motel as well as an apartment license. I did not have hot water the last three weeks there. I rented from July, August, September, October, 2008. The address is:922 Coquina Ln,Vero Beach, FL 32963 Her name isXXXXX she lives in Sebastian, FL.32958. Her phone number is XXXXX Please help me!I appreciate your assistance with this. Please give me information to assist me.What do I do?
Thank you for your question.

The landlord has 15 days to return your security deposit unless she is making a claim for the deposit. If she is wanting to use the security deposit for any unpaid rent, or for cleaning up the premises beyond reasonable wear and tear, she is required to send you a certified letter within 30 days claiming the deposit. If she did not do that, then she has no claims to the security deposit and you will have to take her to small claims court to sue her for return of the security deposit and violations of the landlord tenant statute on deposits [section 83.49 to be exact].

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer,Former Broker and Just Answer Legal Mentor