Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of Landlord/Tenant & Purchase/Sale

is there a colorado state law regarding late rent payment and

is there a colorado state law regarding late rent payment and a mandatory grace period?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.

Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

I need the following information before I can answer your question:

Before I check the law, can you tell me what your rental agreement or lease says?

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It says that if rent is not received on the first of the month, there is a $50 late fee, and $10 is added every day until rent (plus late fees) is paid in full.

I checked the law while waiting for you, and there is nothing in the law. I've never heard of that kind of provision, either.

That means that your rental contract controls the situation. If you're late, you have to pay late fees.

Sorry, I wish I could give you a happier answer.

I'd be happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please "accept" my answer and ask for "Jane Doe Deer" the next time you use

I wish you the best.

Jane Doe Deer