N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

I think my tenant is selling drugs what should I do

Unless you can prove it, there is really nothing you can do about it.

Mere suspicion is not enough for the police to get an arrest warrant or even a search warrant. And if you take any action that can be construed as harassment of the tenant, you could be sued by the tenant.

Your only option may be to just not renew the rental agreement. states that using the property for selling drugs can be a valid reason to evict a tenant, but you need hard evidence that this is really happening. is a directory of landlord tenant attorneys in your area, some of whom offer a free consultation. You may want to consult a local attorney about your options.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So basicly if it's a rent at will I don;t have any recourse even though I strongly suspect it's happening!
A suspicion is not proof. What if you instigate a criminal charge against the tenant and he is acquitted and then sues you for malicious prosecution? I don't want you to get in trouble.

I believe you do have the right to install surveillance cameras on your property, and that might provide the proof you need.

If you are unhappy with a month to month tenant, you can terminate the rental with a written 30 day notice, see at page 8 of the pdf document.