Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

how close can i build to my property line between my neighbor

Customer Question

how close can i build to my property line between my neighbor and i in dinwiddie county virginia 23805
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 8 years ago.

Hello tonylittle,

Do you know what zoning district you live in?

You can find the Dinwiddie County Zoning District Here.

What you want to do once you get on the above site, is scroll down to Chapter 22 - Zoning Code.

Then Click on Article IV - District Regulations. I presume you are in one of the Residential Districts.

Once you know what Residential District you are in, you want to look for the applicable "Set Back," "Minimum Lot Width," and "Yards" restrictions. These will give you the appropriate restrictions on where you can build.

I can't seem to find the actual zoning map for Dinwidie County online so that you can find what zoning district you are in. But, you could call the County Department of Planning and Zoning at(NNN) NNN-NNNN and they should be able to tell you what zoning district you live in.

I hope this information helps.