socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)

what does a Notice of Voluntary Dismissal and Release of Lis

Customer Question

what does a Notice of Voluntary Dismissal and Release of Lis Pendens, mean?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

A 'lis pendens" is a notice to the "world," filed with the county/township/parish clerk, which informs anyone with an interest in the real property identified in the lis pendens, that there is a "legal action pending," in which the real property is at issue.

The lis pendens also identifies the case name and number so that any interested party can intervene in the case to protect their interest.

The lis pendens also tells persons who may be interested in purchasing the real property, that their interest, should they purchase, will be subject to the court's decision (which could, among other things, completely destroy the purchaser's interest).

A "Notice of Voluntary Dismissal and Release," is notice to the "world" that the person who recorded the "lis pendens" no longer seeks to inform interested parties of the pendency of a court action concerning the real property. This may be because the court no longer has jurisdiction, because the case settled, or because the court has rendered final judgment and ruled, or because the party who filed the lis pendens requested that the case be dismissed (this is the likely reason).

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: check with the court to confirm that the case has been dismissed, and if it has, then there is no longer any cloud on the title to the real property -- in other words, it will be as if the lis pendens were never recorded in the first place.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So how would this action normally effect my credit rating assuming the voluntary dismissal is filed??

Credit report doesn't pick up "lis pendens" or voluntary dismissal recordings (or, at least it never has in the past, but that's no guarantee that a credit reporting agency couldn't start looking for such things). Only final judgments are picked up.

So, no effect.