INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I am being harassed by my Homeowners Association ...

I am being harassed by my Homeowners'' Association Board because I am soliciting petitions from homeowners to look into the activities of the Board, their actions, their secrecy of their actions, decisions made without homeowners'' knowledge, big item tickets passed without homeowners'' knowledge. I just received a letter from my HOA''s lawyer telling me to cease all activities. I would like to know if I can defend myself as I consider this a harassment from the Board because they know that the homeowners wants to fire them all now and start a clean slate. And they are blaming me for the raising the homeowners'' awareness of their misdeeds.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
you are within your rights to look into the HOA and the lawyer letter is intended to merely scare you off. you may want to sue the HOA for harassment and for access to its books if you are denied such access

hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. You will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a BONUS and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is appreciated.

Kindly remember that sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to NYCLAWYER's Post: you are within your rights to look into the HOA and the lawyer letter is intended to merely scare you off. you may want to sue the HOA for harassment and for access to its books if you are denied such access

Can you quote me some california corporations code or civil code sections to stand behind my case? this lawyer cited some corporations code. i would like to answer back by quoting corporations or civil codes to back up my actions.

i will file a harassment suit against this Board.
the principle i cite is common in every state and i am a NY attorney so i dont have access to california law. but the right of a HOA owner to review is probably also included in the bylaws themselves and largely part of case law rather than statute.

INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses