Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of Landlord/Tenant & Purchase/Sale

What are the laws for Louisiana for late fees on ...

What are the laws for Louisiana for late fees on rental property, # XXXXX days can you charge a per day fee for everyday of being late.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break.

Can you please tell me what type of rental property you're talking about? Do you mean an apartment? Renting equipment? And do you have a written contract?

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a trailer that is legally attached to the property and a house also 2 commercial building. I leases on all property from the lpa association. I have a tenant who is always late and I had a monthly rentof 650.00 with 5 days late a 25.00 late fee and $10.00 for every day they are late after the 5 days since I have we written the lease and changed it to paying me every friday 150.00 if the don't then they are to move out by Sunday but I have also $10.00 for everyday they are late. Which they normally are.

Here is a link to a very handy landlord tenant guide book:

Here is a link to the code, found in Civil Code 2668 - 2729.

The ones of special interest to you are probably:

Art. 2704. Nonpayment of rent

If the lessee fails to pay the rent when due, the lessor may, in accordance with the provisions of the Title "Conventional Obligations or Contracts", dissolve the lease and may regain possession in the manner provided by law.

Art. 2728. Notice of termination; timing

The notice of termination required by the preceding Article shall be given at or before the time specified below:

(1) In a lease whose term is measured by a period longer than a month, thirty calendar days before the end of that period;

(2) In a month-to-month lease, ten calendar days before the end of that month;

(3) In a lease whose term is measured by a period equal to or longer than a week but shorter than a month, five calendar days before the end of that period; and

(4) In a lease whose term is measured by a period shorter than a week, at any time prior to the expiration of that period.

A notice given according to the preceding Paragraph terminates the lease at the end of the period specified in the notice, and, if none is specified, at the end of the first period for which the notice is timely.

Acts 2004, No. 821, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2005.

Art. 2729. Notice of termination; form

If the leased thing is an immovable or is a movable used as residence, the notice of termination shall be in writing. It may be oral in all other cases.

In all cases, surrender of possession to the lessor at the time at which notice of termination shall be given under Article 2728 shall constitute notice of termina­tion by the lessee.

If the tenants don't move out on their own, you're going to have to get a court order to make them move. Once you get the court order, the sheriff will move the tenants out for you.

You'll be ok. Be prepared for the worst, and you're always prepared for the best. © 2008.

I'd be happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you.

We can still write after you pay. Feedback and Bonuses are gratefully appreciated.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "This is for Jane Doe Deer."

I wish you the best,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jane Doe Deer's Post: What about charging of 10.00 a day in late fees is this within leagal range

I saw nothing for or against doing this. It would be safest for you to have this in a written agreement, signed and dated by both you and the renter. $10.00/day certainly sounds reasonable to me - almost TOO reasonable.

One thing you may want to try in the future is an award instead of a penalty.

Let's say you want the rent on the first of the month. You put in the agreement that the rent is due on the 3rd of the month, but, if they get it to you by the first, they can take $50.00 off. It's more of the carrot than the stick approach.