How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37689
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to add a name to a Florida deed in the least ...

Resolved Question:

I need to add a name to a Florida deed in the least expensive way possible. I live in PA and have Power of Attorney for current owner, who has dementia but has not been legally declared incompetent. Condo Assoc. advises me to add my name so I can lease condo or sell if needed. Relative needs assisted living/nursing care and needs the money deperately.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Dangerous to transfer a deed from your principal to yourself under a power of attorney. You have a fiduciary duty to the principal, and your transfer could be construed by a court as self-dealing and a conflict of interest.

Not saying that this would ever happen, however, a disgruntled beneficary of the owner could sue the spit out of you and might succeed. So, you may want to have the various beneficiaries of the owner sign a consent stating that they have been informed as to the purpose and effect of your action and that they each consent.

Then, if the owner can sign the deed, and he/she hasn't been legally judged incompetent, then you can have him/her sign a deed from him/her to him/her and you, with a notary there to acknowledge the signing. Then record the deed with the county and you're good to go.

Warning: depending on how you take title, the property may be reassessed for property taxes.


Terms and Conditions: By clicking "Accept" you hereby understand and agree that in consideration for my conversing with you: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to socrateaser's Post: I am the only beneficiary. Only need to rent or sell to pay for her care. Have her will to prove that I am named heir, if anyone would inquire. Keeping clean paper trails to show money all used for her. If not needed, would just inherit but I think will be needed for her care.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Doesn't appear that anyone would inquire. Still advise that you have her sign if you can.

Also you should contact the Florida Dept. of Revenue at:, and ask whether your proposed transfer will trigger a property tax reassessment.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Still need to know HOW I can inexpensively add my name to the deed. It is a partial transfer (my name with hers) and because I'll probably need to sell it, tax reassess won't matter. Could you add my name to a deed for a limited fee or instruct me about steps?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Here's an example of what you could do: (see the free preview for more step-by-step info).

The result of recording the the above-referenced deed form with the county clerk would cause title to be transferred from the owner to the owner and yourself, and upon either of your respective deaths, the other person would obtain title to the entire property.

Note, that I am not suggesting that this is the only possible way to transfer title in your circumstances. However, I do not have sufficient knowledge of all the relevant facts and circumstances to do more than provide you with the above example.

I am not trying to be evasive or uncooperative. However, there are limits to the sort of information that I can provide to you in this forum. If you have questions about those limits, please review the "IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION" link below.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37689
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 8 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
  • Ray's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.

Related Real Estate Law Questions