Real Estate Expert
Real Estate Expert, Lawyer
Experience:  Specialize in all phases of commerical and residential real estate transactions
10097719

How long does a forceable eviction process take in Arizona

Customer Question

I have been a perfect tenant for 4+ years in a house in Tucson AZ with landlords living in NY. In the fall of last year we notified the landlords that we would be looking for property with the plan to build on it and move. Since Jan   08 we have been renting month to month and notifying them each month of the need to extend the lease yet again. The process was they would email a lease, get it signed and fax it back. We have had to run utilities to this new lot and have encountered many delays. However, our prefab house was due to be delivered in May and I updated the landlord that we might be moving sometime in May, but made sure to specify that nothing was a sure thing as there had been so many delays up to this point already. I allowed them to show the home to a potential renters who agreed to wait for the house to become available. After a miscommunication about our move out date they say we have to be out June 7th and we can't. How long would we have if we forced them to evict us.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Real Estate Expert replied 6 years ago.

Hello jillbennett,

The first thing a landlord has to do to begin an eviction is to end the tenancy. This is done by giving an eviction notice. Usually, a 72 hour notice.

Next, the landlord can file an eviction action in the local court. The action has to be served in a way defined by the law on the tenant by someone other than the landlord. Check the local law to make sure papers, if any, are served properly. If they aren't, the court won't allow an eviction.

After receiving eviction papers the tenant has a chance to answer. The time for the tenant to answer will be on the papers that are served. An answer must be in the form required by the local court rules and state law, so a tenant might get help with drafting an answer. This is the time for the tenant to raise defenses such as that the landlord didn't give proper notice of termination, or tenant has a valid lease and has the right to remain in the premises, ect.

If the tenant doesn't file an answer with the court, the court will enter what is called a default judgment for eviction if the landlord can show that the court papers were served properly on the tenant. The tenant may have a default judgment set aside if there was a good reason why he or she wasn't able to answer on time.

If the tenant raises a valid defense, the case will be set for a hearing or trial on the facts. This is the time for the tenant to produce proof, including inadequate notices given by the landlord and letters written by the tenant.

If the court rules that the landlord can evict the tenant, the landlord still can't change the locks. The landlord must take the court order to the sheriff and the sheriff will come and post a notice, usually on the tenant's door, telling the tenant that if she or he does not move out by the date and time given, the sheriff will come and remove the tenant and the tenant's belongings from the unit.

This whole process can take anywhere from 14-30 days.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Thank you.