Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

i lost my deed for my house, what should i do

Currently, I am selling my house up at buffalo, ny and I lost my deed and title for the house. I am the owner and have no mortgage, its all paid off. I am not sure which document I need to sell my house. my realtor doesn't seem to knwo the answer for it and i think its pretty dumb. Do I need both deed and title or just title? If so, where do I find a new title?

All deeds are recorded in the County Clerk's Office in your county. If you know the Block and Lot number for your property you can go down to the County Clerk's Office and ask to get a copy of your deed using the Block and Lot number. And the Block and Lot numbers are usually listed on your real estate property tax bill. There might be a small fee for photocopying the deed.

The title and the deed are the same thing. The County Clerk's Office should have also recorded a Satisfaction of your Mortgage.

In addition, all of these documents should be obtained by the title insurance company and the lawyers who are handling the sales transaction.

But you can always go down to the County Clerk's Office as I mentioned.

Good luck.