JohnW
JohnW, Real Estate Development & Sales
Experience:  20+ years experience in home building and sales.
9088185

What does the term less and except mean ...

What does the term: "less and except" mean on legal descriptions and deeds in the state of Florida?

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer!

In Florida, the "less and except" in a legal description or on a deed is used to exclude a portion of the property. This may be worded like, ". . . less and except the west 8 feet of . . ." or something similar. Whatever is mentioned after the "less and except" is not included in ownership of the property.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need further information please let me know.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to JohnW's Post: Can I talk to you live on this question?

Mike Cuff

XXX-XXX-XXXX

We cannot speak by phone, per Just Answer terms of service. An option is to open another question and use the "chat" feature.

However, please feel free to ask more questions in this one, and I will be watching, so we can carry on a "conversation" right here.

If you have a specific legal description that includes "less and except," and you have concerns or questions about it, you can post that portion of the description here, and let me take a look at it.

Thanks!