Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I have filed a lawsuit against a property management ...

Customer Question

I have filed a lawsuit against a property management company within the last three days for negligence, fraud, conversion and breech of contract. This company is still holding about $1,500.00 of my rental income money. Is there a way that I can freeze their assets, maybe freeze their checking account? Can I get the police to go make them give me that money? If I need to get an injuction , file a motion or something else, where can I get the forms and where could I go to veiw samples of such or get direction on how to proceed with them?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 8 years ago.

What state are you in?

What court did you file in? Was it small claims?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I filed in Bakersfield,Ca. Superior Court, an unlimited civil suit. Summons and complaint were served the same day.

The property management co. is in Taft, Ca. , Kern County
Expert:  CALawyer replied 8 years ago.
I have two more questions.

First, is the suit for $1,500, or is it for more (unlimited cases are for $50,000 or more, or seek equitable relief)?

Second, is there a reason why you would need to freeze their bank accounts during the lawsuit? A reason why it couldn't wait until after you obtained a judgment?