Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a MX922 and it recently ran out of blue ink. I

Customer Question

I have a MX922 and it recently ran out of blue ink. I changed it and now all of my print outs are printing yellowish green. I was not using Canon ink, however, the brand I had been using didn't have this problem before. I went and purchased Canon ink and it is still having the same issue.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It has not and it's about 3 years old. I cleaned the heads and everything else I could think of on the maintenance.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac and I dont know hold on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This just happened a couple of weeks ago and it happened after I replaced the blue ink. Since then I have replaced the blue ink 3 times and now all inks are canon and it's still doing it.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I'm assuming if I knew that I wouldn't be trying to talk to one. Like I said it happened when it ran out of blue ink. ALL ink cartridges have been replaced. It's never done it before and I did all maintenance on it. I hardly use the printer at all. Maybe a few times a month.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

The likely cause of this is the generic inks you had been using, which have very high failure rates and poor quality ink inside which damage the printhead about 3 times faster than the oem ink.

You can try, again, going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print properly, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Wow well that sucks I got it only a few years ago and hardly use it like it went months with no use. I've cleaned the heads and aligned and all of that stuff and everything it prints looks normal for that stuff but when I go to print it is all green and yellow now. To give you an idea of how little I used it, I have two packages of each color left and when I bought it I only bought 3 of each lol.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

That infrequent use is actually the likely root of the problem (in addition to using the wrong ink).

Inkjets cannot sit idle, if they go more than about a week without use they quickly dry out and clog up, then when you do try to print again the nozzles overheat and are permanently damaged.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Considering your use patterns, a laser would be a safer choice as they can go years without use and have no problems at all.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

You are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,