Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am enraged. I just changed out the black ink, in my Epson

Customer Question

I am enraged. I just changed out the black ink, in my Epson wf-2540. Now it still doesn't print, and now it wants me to replace a color cartridge, even though, all I want to do, is print in black and white.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Epson WF-2540... as I mentioned
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: it is only a couple years ole old
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just stopped working. It ran out of ink, requiring a replacement cartridge.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately what you are wanting to do is simply not possible, which is by design. You’ll find this to be the case with most all inkjet printers, and for good reason. These printers have thousands of tiny nozzles on the printhead, some for each color, and if any cartridge is low or empty, even just when printing other nearby colors, those nozzles will overheat, causing permanent damage to the printer. All of the inks are also necessary for normal maintenance operations of the printer such as purging and cleaning which are done automatically. For these reasons, the printer will lock out access to any function until all cartridges are available for use. You cannot print even just in a single color without all of them available. To proceed, you will have to replace the empty color cartridge(s).

My apologies for the news,