Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a MFC-J410W printer LC61 series and suddenly the

Customer Question

I have a MFC-J410W printer LC61 series and suddenly the black ink won't print. I changed the black cartridge even though it showed full on the screen. Have not tried the colors. Is it possible to get this same printer if I have to buy a new one? I like it plus I have a lot of ink!
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer?
Customer: i told you. The words on the front say MFC-J410W LC61 series
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. Not sure about the OS. It just suddenly stopped printing black as I was using the 'copy' feature. I was NOT printing from my computer
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It copied one page and then sounded like it was copying but what came out had very very faint unreadable ink.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Think that's it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. Unfortunately because of the age these are no longer available and no other current models would support this same cartridge style.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.