John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Have a 7520 photosmart printer. Changed all ink cartridges.

Customer Question

Have a 7520 photosmart printer. Changed all ink cartridges. as I changed black cartridge the carriage moved over. I pulled it out. Am now getting missing cartridge or damaged cartridge. Can't get rid of message. have reinserted all ink cartridges and checked for left over wrappings, etc. Help please
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: 7520 model. using hp 564XL
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Pc Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was working fine but said it was low on ink and needed replacement.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.